Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Two Muslim Men Granted Bail In Delhi Pogrom Case

A Delhi court has granted bail to two Muslim men arrested in connection with the Delhi pogrom. The accused have been identified as Zarif and Shanu.

Additional Sessions judge Amitabh Rawat granted bail to Zarif and Shanu after they furnished a bond of rupees 20,000 with surety of the same amount in the each alleged case of burning the house of the local resident in Jafrabad. Both the accused have been granted bail on the basis of incarceration period and on grounds of parity.

Accused were in judicial custody since April 2020. The court is considering the ground of parity relevant as co-accused Aatir and Gulfam were granted bail earlier in the same case on same grounds.

Advocate Abdul Gaffar appearing for both the accused, during the hearing said that they were falsely arrested in the case.

However, Advocate Anuj Handa, appealing on behalf of police opposed the bail and claimed that both the boys were involved in the unlawful act of burning down the house during the riots.

On February 23, an anti-Muslim pogrom was unleashed in parts of North East Delhi, the worst the city has seen in decades. Over fifty people lost their lives and thousands were left homeless.

The violence is widely acknowledged as an anti-Muslim pogrom that was ignited after Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Kapil Mishra’s incendiary comments against the peaceful anti-CAA sit-in protests in the area. Mishra had demanded that anti-CAA protesters in Chand Bagh and Jaffrabad be removed within three days. If not, he had warned, his supporters would take matters into their own hands. Soon after, stone-pelting began in the area.

However, a witch-hunt was started against Muslims and hundreds of them have been put behind bars.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Written By

Ghazala Ahmad is the Delhi Correspondent for The Cognate.

You May Also Like

News

The Delhi government on Wednesday told the Delhi high court that it is agreeable to reopening the Nizamuddin Markaz premises for religious purposes, after...

Opinion

Delhi Pogrom was a state-sponsored attack on Muslims of northeast Delhi that took place last year on 23rd February as armed Hindu mobs, that...

News

Three eyewitnesses have accused Harveer Singh Bhati, a sub-inspector of Okhla Police Station, Delhi, of murder during the northeast Delhi anti-Muslim pogrom in February...

News

In two separate judgements on the 3rd and 4th of February, Delhi’s Karkardooma Court granted bail to murder-accused Kuldeep Singh in the Northeast Delhi...