Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

After 45 Days, Bengaluru’s Bilal Bagh Sit-In Protest Called Off Due To Coronavirus Lockdown

After 45 days of continuous protest, braving heat, cold and threats, Bengaluru’s Bilal Bagh, modelled on Delhi’s Shaheen Bagh, called off the 24/7 sit-in protest against divisive Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) and National Register of Citizens (NRC) over the outbreak of COVID-19 and the state-wide lockdown announced by Chief Minister Yediyurappa on Monday, 24 March.

Similar protests in Mumbai, Lucknow and other places were temporarily called off due to coronavirus. In Delhi, the police cleared the protest site at Shaheen Bagh, which had become the epicentre of protests against CAA and NRC.

The organisers of Bilal Bagh, through a letter, announced that the protest shall continue with only 5 people standing at a distance and the rest of the campaign will go online.

The threat of the coronavirus pandemic hadn’t deterred the hundreds of women, protesting at Bilal Bagh. In spite of the government shutdown of schools, colleges, malls, cinema halls and large events, their demonstration went as usual.

The organisers had taken to freely distribute homemade hand sterilisers, face masks and other novel methods to ensure safety and hygiene at the site.

In a video shared by volunteers last week, protesters could be seen cleaning chairs, surfaces, and people being sanitised upon entry to the site.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

However, in the wake of ongoing lockdown in Bengaluru due to rising coronavirus cases in the city, and across the country, the organisers finally decided to suspend the protest, until the pandemic is contained.

Dr Danish Ahmed, a physician and a volunteer said that the protest will raise back again, at an appropriate time. As of now, the organisers are planning to distribute ration and relief materials to those who are suffering during the lockdown.

“We will continue our dissent by saving the nation and the citizens,” he said.

You May Also Like

Opinion

Delhi Pogrom was a state-sponsored attack on Muslims of northeast Delhi that took place last year on 23rd February as armed Hindu mobs, that...

News

Tamil Nadu chief minister Edappadi K Palaniswami on Friday declared that cases registered against anti-Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) protesters are to be dropped. The...

News

Political, cultural and religious leaders and activists in Kerala, who expressed their solidarity for a hartal (mass protest) against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA)...

News

Asmat Jamil, who led one of the longest sit-in protests in Kolkata’s Park Circus Maidan against the contentious Citizenship (Amendment) Act died on Monday....